On Nov 27, 2009, at 17;29,08 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>>> Hard to believe (though anything is possible).
>>>
>>> My crystal ball says that Alan uses Mac OS X Snow Leopard with 32-bit
>>> kernel.
>>>
>>> Alan, please:
>>> - fetch the latest first-setup.sh or set platform=osx-64 manually
>>> before calling mtxrun
>>> - you might need to remove --make from mtxrun and run mktexlsr/texexec
>>> --make manually until further notice (I need to fix some minor bug,
>>> sorry)
>>>
>>> Mojca
>>
>> Hi, Mojca—
>>
>> You have a great crystal ball! I have set my platform to 64-bit kernel
>> startup mode, re-started, and re-installed the latest from the minimals
>> using ./firstsetup.sh
>>
>> Still no recognition of context --version and luatex --version.
>> As for your other suggestions, I get “command not found” for mtxrun,
>> texmfstart, texexec, mtexlsr.
>>
>> As you can probably also see in your crystal ball, I am at the limits of my
>> knowledge of unix  and how ConTeXt, luatex are installed. So while I am
>> happy to test what you say and provide feedback, please don’t get trapped
>> into dealing with me about a problem that will eventually go away anyway.
>> (My installation does still work, after all-- well, except for some
>> unresolved problems with multi-page tables, but that is another thread.)
>
> 1. Check if you have either executed "source setuptex" (. setuptex) or
> set the path explicitely
> 2. Please check the contents of "/path/to/your/context/tex" by typing
>    ls /path/to/your/context/tex
>    ls /path/to/your/context/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin
> 3. What does
>    echo $PATH
> say (after making sure that . setuptex is executed)?
>
> Mojca

Mojca—

1. When I open Terminal, I always see the line
Setting "/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex" as ConTeXt root.
so I take it that .setuptex has been executed

2.   ls /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex gets:
mysetuptex      setuptex.bat    setuptex.tmf    texmf-cache     texmf-local
texmf-project
setuptex        setuptex.csh    texmf           texmf-context   texmf-osx-intel

3. echo $PATH gets:
/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

Alan