Renaud AUBIN wrote:

OK, since I don't know the behavior of \setupcharacterspacing, the
following question may seem stupid to you:
How the following string will be processed « Did you notice that real
NO-BREAK SPACE chars are already there? »

why not just try it

currently only intermediate kerns, glue and spacing characters are considered

More over, since I have just forgotten my « Lexique des règles
typographiques en usage à l'imprimerie nationale »at work, I have to
wait the morrow to confirm the fact that some use of U+202F NARROW
NO-BREAK SPACE are necessary. Same question as the previous one applies
when NNBSP are already there…

it depends to what extend you want context to clean up and optimize spacing; it can be that 202F is there for other purposes (and maybe not even consistently used as it is kind of invisible); so it should probababluy configurable (we have already some modes)

And the last question of the day ;) : … expends to . . . with
french. Could that be easily corrected?

probably, but first i want proper specs on which most french users agree (so i do an extra cc to arthur who is sort of in charge of the french tex users)

(This flow of question comes from my recent experiments of the advanced
capabilities of bépo fr keyboard plus .XCompose usage).