Michael Green wrote:
On Dec 4, 2009, at 3:00 AM, ntg-context-requ...@ntg.nl wrote:

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:23:13 +0100
From: Taco Hoekwater <t...@elvenkind.com>
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] bibliography authoryears problem

Hi,

Michael Green wrote:
When using refcommand=authoryears and Mk IV the first reference is
formatted incorrectly.

There is the left parenthesis, then a line break, then the rest of the
reference followed by the right parenthesis.

Here is the cause: the first \cite in mkiv internally runs
\usepublications[\jobname]. This inputs bib-test.bbl, which
contains a \par, and that is where the new line comes from.

A workaround is to add

  \usepublications[\jobname]

in the document preamble.

It works in mkii because in mkii, that command is executed at
\starttext.

For Hans: perhaps \usemodule[bib] should run the command? I know that
is supposed to be obsolete, but I assume you do not want to use the
odd logic from mkii in mkiv.

Best wishes,
Taco

That solves both the problems I noted. Thanks!

\unprotect

\def\dousepublications#1%
  {\doonlyonce{#1.\f!bibextension}
     {\let\@@savedpar\par
      \let\par\ignorespaces
      \ifhmode\kern\zeropoint\fi
      \readfile{#1.\f!bibextension}
        {\showmessage\m!publications{4}{#1.\f!bibextension}}
        {\showmessage\m!publications{2}{#1.\f!bibextension}}%
      \ifhmode\removeunwantedspaces\fi
      \let\par\@@savedpar}}

\protect

should also work ... the reason for the automatic loading is that it circumvents problems with projects, products, components etc where settings can come after teh first starttext so that's not the best hook then

of course implicit loading as suggested by taco is the best