Hi Aditya,

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:06 AM, Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, James Fisher wrote:
>
>  Right, to show I'm not just empty words, I've just spent ~90 minutes
>> preparing the beginnings of some decent documentation.  Presenting
>> http://github.com/eegg/ConTeXt-doc : basically, I've:
>>

> Interesting.
>

>  (2) converted it all to reStructuredText using html2rest.py (
>> http://bitbucket.org/djerdo/musette/src/tip/musette/html/html2rest.py)
>>

> The values in texwebshow are generated from xml files
> http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/interface/cont-en.xml

Well now, that's interesting.  May I ask where that XML itself comes from?
Is it hand-maintained by Hans/Taco/Patrick?

>  - There's a hella lot of documentation to do here.  Most of the pages in
>> texshow are just placeholders.  There's also massive capabilities in
>> something like Sphinx to organize the code documentation with sensible
>> commentaries.
>>

> Someone will still need to *write* the details. That has been the biggest
> bane of ConTeXt documentation. Almost all documentation is written by Hans
> and Taco and currently they want to focus on development and advanced
> documentation, and not converting all documentation to an organized html.

Of course.  So before people offer to write documentation, the barriers to
it being written have to be lowered.  No sane person wants to (read: *I*
don't want to) hand-maintain one massive XML file.

>  - In my humble opinion, TeXies need to get out of the habit of
>> 'self-documenting' TeX using TeX itself.  TeX is not some replacement for
>> all markup, it's for producing beautiful books (OK, and some
>> presentations);
>> in any case, this habit smacks of introversion.
>>

> In this case it is not a question of markup, but of the output format, and
> whether the source and the documentation are in sync or not. Basically,
> context sources are documented as
>
> %D documentation ...
>
> \tex code
>
> %D documentation
>
> \tex code
>
> In principle, we can replace the markup in the documentation to xml or an
> ascii markup. It is easy enough to extract the %D lines and post-process
> them by any tool that you like. The biggest advantage of using a pdf output
> is that we can show the output of code snippets. For example,
>
> \startbuffer
> some tex code
> \stopbuffer
>
> \typebuffer
>
> gives
>
> \getbuffer
>
> thereby ensuring that the documentation is showing the correct behavior. To
> do this in html requires additional context run, converting the output to
> png, and displaying the png (this is how the wiki treats  <context> ...
> </context> tags).

That is also something to think about.  But I don't think it's really a
serious problem -- the Mediawiki <context> works well enough.  In terms of
user-friendliness I would say it works better than in a massive PDF -- I
would rather consult an image on the web.

It wouldn't be too hard to alter Sphinx (as a for example; I suggest Sphinx
so we can talk concretely) so that all TeX-markupped code is shown
side-by-side as [ syntax-highlighted code | ConTeXt output as PNG ].  (This
would be an improvement on the wiki implementation where the TeX code is
duplicated in the source.)

>  - Why on earth is there a git repository that is just slave storage?  That
>> uses about 1% of its capabilities; it seems a terrible waste.
>>

> Because ConTeXt has only 1 main developer :-)

Again I smell circular reasoning :) ... I suppose at this point I want to
ask Hans personally: is cutting everyone else out from the workflow a design
decision?

> Aditya

p.s.; I've been updating documentation of 'Enumerations' in the git repo --
I've chosen to develop a little patch of code as an example of what
documentation code be across the board.

Best,

James