On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Michael Saunders wrote:

The question is: what have you set OSFONTDIR to,  and does that
location actually contain the system fonts?

Thank you, Taco.  Double checking, I find that I have set OSFONTDIR to
C:\Windows\Fonts, which does indeed contain my 1074 system font files,
970 of them open type.  The slightly different string you put on the
webpage:
mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=*
now seems to find them.  That was the problem.

My next problem is to make sense of what lies under the heading "The
standard way: Typescripts".

Maybe a line like that is a typescript.  Who knows?

It might be easiest to use the simplefonts module. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#With_the__simplefonts_module

Aditya