Thanks Wolfgang. This works.
See below for some refinements I find usefull.

On 10 mrt 2010, at 15:40, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

Am 10.03.10 13:39, schrieb Hans van der Meer:
ConTeXt fontsizing has \tx to make the current font style one step smaller, then another \txx does that again. For makeing the size bigger I cannot see anything other than the series \tfa \tfb \tfc \tfd. It would however be nice to also have a similar cumulative effect here.

Can there be something like "\tsmall" available to reduce the font size one step (to a certain minimum, not just \tx\tx = \txx)? And similar \tbig to enlarge the font size one step? It will make the equivalent of HTML's <small> and <big> tags easy to implement for typesetting my xml data.

Or are there already such things?
\startxmlsetups big
\bgroup
\switchtobodyfont[\the\dimexpr\bodyfontsize+2pt\relax]

\switchtobodyfont[\the\dimexpr\bodyfontsize+\xmlattdef{#1}{step}{2pt} \relax]

\xmlflush{#1}
\egroup
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups small
\bgroup
\switchtobodyfont[\the\dimexpr\bodyfontsize-2pt\relax]

\scratchdimen=\the\dimexpr\bodyfontsize\relax
\advance\scratchdimen-\xmlattdef{#1}{step}{2pt}\relax
\ifdim\scratchdimen<\xmlattdef{#1}{min}{4pt}\relax\scratchdimen= \xmlattdef{#1}{min}{4pt}\fi
\switchtobodyfont[\the\scratchdimen]

\xmlflush{#1}
\egroup
\stopxmlsetups