Thank you for the help with headers---it worked.  My marginal note
problems continue:

If I have a two-column text with margins on either side, is there a
way for \inmargin{} or something like it to place text in the margin
next to the column where it occurs?  I haven't been able to avoid it
overprinting the text in the opposite column.

I tried using margin blocks but I couldn't get anywhere with them.  Even:

\startmarginblock
test
\stopmarginblock

produces no output.  And there is a new wrinkle:
\setupinmargin[align=outer] ruins my footnotes.  It causes the
footnote marks that occur before the notes themselves to appear one
margin-length left of where they should be, even if the overprint
text.