Dnia Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 02:58:37PM +0000, John Haltiwanger napisał(a):
> > As this is precisely my situation, perhaps I can offer you the benefit
> > of a test-able target audience? Today I am already looking into the
> > best route to learning TeX/mkiv in a holistic (ie not just looking for
> > the 'recipe' I need to meet a given deadline). I have just entered
> > full-time thesis mode, so the question begins Should I just sit down
> > and read the TeXBook? (something that will be done regardless, it's
> > just a question as what is most worthwhile to Getting Something Done
> > Right Now) or would it be that the LuaTeX manual is more directly
> > applicable? Or, perhaps, a chapter from your book? ;)
>
> Sorry to reply to myself, but the send button got pressed a bit early.
> The point is, I want to approach TeX/mkiv in a holistic way. I don't
> necessarily want to be mired in TeX constraints when it seems LuaTeX
> will be a) easier b) more relevant c) more powerful. However, I can
> imagine that knowing the former is important to understanding/learning
> the latter.

My 3 cents: if you want to have your thesis done *quickly* and in an
easy, "howto - recipe - faq" way, just use LaTeX (probably with
amsrefs/tikz/memoir/a few others).  If you want to do more unusual
things, and have some spare time to play with them and ask a lot of
questions here - use ConTeXt.  (Some time ago, on the blog of the
Malaysian LaTeX User Group (http://latex-my.blogspot.com/) there was a
nice example of having a colourful, good-looking book done in LaTeX,
btw, so it's also possible, of course; but LaTeX was *not* designed with
such things in mind.)

And please, *do* read the TeXbook - it's sooooo much fun!

> Anyway, at the moment I'm content to read Taco's new typography
> chapter and add a few notes :)

Now I'm just feeling obliged to do the same.  I'll print them out and
read on the bus/tramway (or is it called a "cable car"?)

Regards

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)