> > 1. Leftward protrusion doesn't work.
> > 2. I don't think hz is working in footnotes.
>
> > The font I'm using is Adobe Garamond Premiere Pro.  If you think there
> > might be a problem with the typescript, I can show you that too.
>
> These two are related to font. Either show that something is wrong with
> default typescripts (lmodern, times, palatino, etc) else it means that
> tosmething is wrong with your typescript. But first you have to narrow
> down the problem

I take your word for it that it works for the default typescripts;
therefore, the problem must be somewhere in my typescript, but I have
no idea where.  It is as follows:

\starttypescript [serif] [optical] [size]

  \definebodyfont [4pt,5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt,9pt,10pt] [rm]
    [tf=SerifCaption-Regular     sa 1,
     it=SerifCaption-Italic      sa 1]

  \definebodyfont [11pt,12pt,13pt,14pt,14.4pt] [rm]
    [tf=SerifRegular-Regular     sa 1,
     it=SerifRegular-Italic      sa 1]

  \definebodyfont [15pt,16pt,17pt,17.3pt,18pt,19pt,20pt,21pt,22pt] [rm]
    [tf=SerifSubhead-Regular     sa 1,
     it=SerifSubhead-Italic      sa 1]

  \definebodyfont [23pt,24pt,30pt,36pt,48pt,51pt,60pt] [rm]
    [tf=SerifDisplay-Regular     sa 1,
     it=SerifDisplay-Italic      sa 1]

\stoptypescript

%I don't know what this block is for, but I think it is needed only once.
\starttypescript [serif] [garamond]

  \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [SerifRegular-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [SerifRegular-Italic]

\stoptypescript

%Garamond (Book)                                                garamond

\starttypescript [serif] [garamond]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-Capt]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-ItCapt]     [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Regular]    [file:GaramondPremrPro]
   [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-It]         [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-Subh]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-ItSubh]     [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-Disp]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-ItDisp]     [features=body]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [garamond]
  \definetypeface [garamond] [rm] [serif] [garamond] [optical]
\stoptypescript

%Garamond Medium                                        garamondMD

\starttypescript [serif] [garamondMD]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-MedCapt]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-MedItCapt]     [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-Med]    [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-MedIt]         [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-MedSubh]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-MedItSubh]     [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-MedDisp]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-MedItDisp]     [features=body]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [garamondMD]
  \definetypeface [garamondMD] [rm] [serif] [garamondMD] [optical]
\stoptypescript

%Garamond Semi-Bold                                     garamondSB

\starttypescript [serif] [garamondSB]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-SmbdCapt]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-SmbdItCapt]     [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-Smbd]    [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-SmbdIt]         [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-SmbdSubh]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-SmbdItSubh]     [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-SmbdDisp]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-SmbdItDisp]     [features=body]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [garamondSB]
  \definetypeface [garamondSB] [rm] [serif] [garamondSB] [optical]
\stoptypescript

%Garamond Bold                                          garamondBD

\starttypescript [serif] [garamondBD]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-BdCapt]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-BdItCapt]     [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-Bd]    [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-BdIt]         [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-BdSubh]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-BdItSubh]     [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-BdDisp]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-BdItDisp]     [features=body]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [garamondBD]
  \definetypeface [garamondBD] [rm] [serif] [garamondBD] [optical]
\stoptypescript

%Garamond Light Display                                         garamondLT

\starttypescript [serif] [garamondLT]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-LtDisp]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaption-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-LtItDisp]     [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-LtDisp]    [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-LtItDisp]         [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-LtDisp]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifSubhead-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-LtItDisp]     [features=body]

  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Regular]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-LtDisp]       [features=body]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifDisplay-Italic]
[file:GaramondPremrPro-LtItDisp]     [features=body]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [garamondLT]
  \definetypeface [garamondLT] [rm] [serif] [garamondLT] [optical]
\stoptypescript

> > 3. Observe footnote 1 (the only one).  It is breaking between p.1 and
> > p.2.  I want to forbid that.
>
> I don't know how to prevent this. But again, this has nothing to do with
> columns or fonts.

I want that to work in those columns with that font.  If you don't
know how to make it work in any font with or without columns, that
makes no difference.  It looks like it's just one more thing that
Context can't do or can't do correctly.

> The marin note in 2nd column is displayed in the 1st column. This is
> artifact of the way in which TeX constructs columns: first creating a long
> and narrow page and then splitting it into two. I don't know at what stage
> of the OTR are margin notes inserted, and if there is a workaround. Maybe
> others can help.

An open problem, then.

> \raisebox{1em}\hbox{--}

Hooray!  Something works!