Am 19.04.10 21:15, schrieb Peter Münster:
On Mon, Apr 19 2010, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
\starttext
\define\hans{hans}
\define\hans{taco}
\stoptext

the output now is 'hans' because \define checks whether a command with the
name \hans is already defined
Hello Wolfgang,

Did you test it? The output is "taco" here on my system:
MTXrun | current version: 2010.04.16 21:08
no i didn't test it

context has two different versions of \define, there is one in syst-ext.mkii/syst-aux.mkiv which has no parameters but prevents you from overwriting a existing command (there \redefine with allows this) and another one in core-sys.mkii/mkiv which replace the first one and has support for parameters but replace on the other side the old definition (you get only the
terminal message)

the question is, which behavious is correct, replace the old macro or keep it, in my opinion \define should leave the old definition untouced and \redefine should be used
in this case (but we need a version with parameters)

Wolfgang