Michael Saunders wrote:
more acrobat and initialization and so ... some of these things change
per version; which version of acrobat? test file?

I have Adobe Reader 9.3.2, which I think is the latest.  The following test:

\starttext
\dorecurse{1000}{\tooltip[middle]{test}{test}}
\stoptext

produces a pdf which opens up with the purple band at the top.  There
is a button (which doesn't look much like a button) on the left of
this band that will hide it when pressed.  Still I'd like to control
it.

In my Reader 8, there is a prefs setting:

Edit -> Preferences -> Forms -> "Always hide forms document message bar"

Best wishes,
Taco