Thanks, current state of affairs is not bad (maybe even better then not-propagating alternative), but it's always good to have another option, like

\setuphead[section][textstyle=WORD, style={\bfa}, align=center, propagate=no]
\setuphead[subsection][style={\bf}]

:)

Another question - I try to make a macro for a "filled in" date.

Empty date is ok
\def \FillInDate {"\hl[2]"\hl[4]\hskip1mm 20\hl[2]\hskip.5mm}

\starttext
\FillInDate
\stoptext

But my printing date "under lines" is a mess. In particular, I want to add a bit more space around numbers, but anything I do, the space is not underlined for some strange reason. In contrary, month and year are glued together, while I want them to be separated by space.

\def \FilledDate#1#2#3 {"\underbar{ #1 }"\hskip5mm\underbar{#2}\hskip5mm \underbar{#3}\hskip.5mm}

\starttext
\FilledDate{06}{05}{2010}

Best Regards,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky