On Sunday 07 June 2009 16:55:59 Hans Hagen wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> > Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> >> I do not have any strong feelings about this, but do believe that "~"
> >> has always provided an unbreakable white space in TeX, both in text
> >> and math mode. I also feel that "~" is more readable than "\,".
> >
> > The activeness of ~ isn't that important, but there really should be
> > a non-breakable space in math mode, and an active ~ is the most logical
> > choice because of 20 years of TeX input. You can pick something else,
> > but it is definately needed, and it should be shorter than
> >
> >   "\penalty10000 \ "
>
> hm, currently ~ is
>
> \penalty \plustenthousand\space
>
> which gives no space in math as spaces are ignored
>
> i have this definition probably for a reason so i tend to be careful
> with a change in text mode

Reviving an older thread - still a problem.

What is the current, proper means of inputing an unbreakable white space?
1. in math mode;
2. in text mode.
(I suggest that the same symbol should work in both cases).
Use of unicode nbsp can be problematic (and sometimes unreadable).

Minimal example:

\chapter{X~ray} % OK
\startchapter[title={X~ray}] % no good - shows "~" in the bookmarks!

(of course, the examples above are "silly" as such a short word would
not get broken, unless the width was *really* small...)

Alan