Thanks for the reply. I'm actually generating TeX from an application that interprets $ in it's own code and occasionally this causes me trouble in passing the $ through to TeX to use in math mode (I think they have a bug and am hoping I can get that fixed). So I tend to use \math{} to avoid complications with escaping $, but was stuck in this case because I couldn't use $ or \math{}.

Anyway, I just now solved my problem in the other application and am able pass through $ appropriately so it's no longer an issue for me.

Thanks,
Brian