On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Brian R. Landy wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually generating TeX from an application that interprets $ in it's own code and occasionally this causes me trouble in passing the $ through to TeX to use in math mode (I think they have a bug and am hoping I can get that fixed). So I tend to use \math{} to avoid complications with escaping $, but was stuck in this case because I couldn't use $ or \math{}.

With expansion problems, sometimes using \noexpand\math{...} works.

Aditya