I also had problems at first with the XITS fonts, especially with the built-in typescripts.

First, make sure that you have put the fonts somewhere ConTeXt can find them, and run

mtxrun --script font --reload

You can check that they have installed properly by running

mtxrun --script font --list --all --pattern=xits*

and you should see a list of the fonts. Then, copy the typescript from the XITS font zip file which you can get from Khaled's website. Put this in the root directory of your .tex file (or in a suitable place in the ConTeXt tree) and load it in your preamble with

\usetypescriptfile[type-xits]

I then loaded the font with

\usetypescript[xits]
\setupbodyfont[xits]

You might get conflict with the internal typescipt (although I didn't, if I remember correctly); if so, rename [xits] in the typescript to [my-xits], then do

\usetypescript[my-xits]
\setupbodyfont[my-xits]