> the fact that you have pieces in mkii is a side effect of dvitomp turning dvi
> output in mp pictures; in the process it combines glyphs that have no kerning
> and whatever spacing becomes shifts

Oh, I didn't know the pieces used to come about by accident... actually, by a
rather favourable accident if I may add :-)

> in mkiv the text is treated as a whole and that will not change

That's rather bad news... then essentially MetaPost is a lost case for
retouching digital typography it seems. Will have to switch to Illustrator
(with the Scriptographer plugin) for these tasks. Sadly, batch processing and
TeX integration will be gone with that alternative.

> so, if in mkiv you want pieces, you need to textext each snippet that you
> want as such

Alright... in that case how would I make sure that all glyph positions are kept
if my TeX material is, say, some complex formula? How could I find the baseline
with textext?

> keep in mind that the way mkii (read: external tex processing and dvitomp)
> works is quite unpredictable

Sure. Similar functionality doesn't need to resort to the same implementation
:-)

Oliver