On 11-9-2010 4:00, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

Am 11.09.2010 um 11:33 schrieb Hans Hagen:

Will siunits module be used as a base for this or will this be
something completely new?

I don't know what you mean with siunits. Wolfgangs module?  We have unit
support in context for along time (also as part of some mathml extensions). So,
we're more talking of an upgrade of the current module (units and digits) and I
will have a look at Wolfgangs code to see what additional support is in there
and we can merge things if needed.

He’s talking about my module. The difference between our modules is that your
use “10 \Meter \Per \Second” for the input while i use
”\siunit{10\meter\per\second}”.

ah, so you explicitly tag the unit

one reason why I didn't do this is that it does not integrate well in math at that time (superscripts etc) and the mechanism was mainly meant for schoolbooks (and strongly related to mathml input as well)

There is nothing wrong about two modules with the same function as long as both
do not cause a problem for the module (and i took care of this in my module).

sure

Parts like the number parsing can become part of the core and you provide a
function which others can use to integrate it in their own macros.

indeed

The fundamentals of units are not going to change much, apart from the fact
that we can now parse m/s if needed instead of using the verbose names).

I’m not a friend of the ”m/s” input because you can’t say where a units
starts/ends without adding separators between them, here is a example from
latex’s siunitx package which supports both methods but although the first is
shorter we should rely on the tex method

hm, never seen that one (no time to look into it anyway)

- si{kg.m/s^2}
- si{\kilo\gram\metre\per\square\second}

we can provide the first one flagged as "unit mode for dummies" but it will never work out well with

$ a = 123 m/s^2$

so one would always hae to tag the unit then.

Keep in mind that the units module runs on top of synonyms so that one can ask
for lists of used units and meanings of them.

Adding this function is no problem, synonyms can also be integrated in any
other system.

yes

let's discuss it at the conference