On 09/25/2010 08:03 PM, Elias Oltmanns wrote:

The first couple of lines of the paragraph beginning on page two should
really go on the previous page. Since the hang mechanism of \placefigure
doesn't work due to the page break, I'd like to split this paragraph
into two logical entities, so TeX can put the first on the first page
and treat the second as a separate paragraph flowing around the picture.
However, the reader should not be aware of this split.

Any help much appreciated,

I don't know of any automatic solution to this problem (except _perhaps_
columnsets could help) but the simplest way to split a paragraph into
two paragraphs while still looking like one is by inserting a macro
like this at an existing break point:

\def\splitpar
 {\bgroup
  \parfillskip\zeropoint
  \par
  \aftergroup \parskip
  \aftergroup \zeropoint
  \aftergroup \noindentation
  \egroup }

\splitpar will work anywhere in a paragraph, but you only get a
visually pleasing result when it is applied at, or close to, a break
that would have been chosen anyway.

Best wishes,
Taco