On Sep 20, 2010, at 10:31 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Here's a question that has been on my mind for a while now and that I would
> have loved to ask Taco and Hans at Brejlov: we now have shiny new
> \userpagenumber and \realpagenumber etc. Is any of these available and
> accessible from within Metafun? Right now, in a StartPage -- StopPage
> environment, I use
> NOfPages and PageNumber, but it would be convenient if we had access to
> userpagenumber as well (so the number can be reset etc.)

Here's what you get when you ask a question without testing first! I'm very
embarrassed to say that this question is bovine excrements. The metafun macro
PageNumber does indeed refer to \userpagenumber, so this part is answered.
However, there's still something I would like to know. Consider the following
example:

\startuseMPgraphic{back}
  StartPage ;
  z[1] = center Page ;
  label.bot(textext("\switchtobodyfont[30pt]\startcolor[orange]" &
  decimal PageNumber & "\stopcolor\ -- \startcolor[darkblue]" & decimal
  NOfPages & "\stopcolor"), z[1]) ;
    StopPage ;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\defineoverlay
  [pageback]
  [\useMPgraphic{back}]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=pageback]

\setupuserpagenumber[state=start]

\starttext

\dorecurse{8}{\userpagenumber \input knuth\page}

\resetuserpagenumber

\dorecurse{8}{\userpagenumber \input knuth\page}

\stoptext

The PageNumber does the right thing: goes from 1 to 8, then is reset to 1
again. But NOfPages results in "16," the total number. Is there any way I can
have a metafun macro "the highest page number before \userpagenumber was reset"?

Thanks, and best

Thomas