Dear Wolfgang and Khaled,

Thank you both for your replies. This has been very helpful. May I ask one
further newbie question of simplefonts: how do I change the font for just the
"fallback" font, without affecting the mainfont? Is there a way to do this by
setting the size in points, or in scale (percentage), or some other fashion?

In fontspec, i was accustomed to something like:

\newfontfamily{\arfont}[Script=Arabic,Scale=1.66,WordSpace=1.66]{Scheherazade-Regular}

I am sure there are equivalents for these feature (size, scale, wordspace);
I've seen many features in the simplefonts pdf. But i'm unsure how to define
something like "arfont" using simplefonts.

Many thanks,
Talal