On Oct 6, 2010, at 04:02 , R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 October 2010 11:15 PM, Florian Wobbe wrote:
>
>> I used to update TeXLive 2009 successfully with this method, however
>> I ran into the same error when updating TeXLive 2010. As I did not
>> succeed and could not figure out what caused the error I installed
>> minimals without problems. I suggest you install minimals and point
>> the environment variable OSFONTDIR to your TeXLive tree. This adds
>> only about 200MiB to your disk which is rather neglectable compared
>> to the 2.7GiB of a full TeXLive.
>
> I trust that minimals is what I was updating using with rsync and that it is
> a cut-down version of the ConTeXt distribution that came with TeXLive 2010.

No, you clobbered your TeXLive distro with the current context beta.

> Can I put minimals in $TEXMFHOME which is ~/texmf on my system? That seems to
> be the place where I can keep stuff newer than TeXLive 2010 without conflict.
> Can minimals function standalone, though, or will I run into mismatches with
> TeXLive 2010 again?

I wouldn't try and mix minimals with TeXLive. Let TeXLive and minimals live
side by side and they don't hurt each other. Make sure you set your PATH
environment and put context/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin before the TeXLive binary
path. This way the executables from minimals get preference over those from
TeXLive and you'd still be able to run latex without changing your environment.

> Also, should OSFONTDIR then point to /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/ or to
> something else?

You would want to point it at /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts// so that

  mtxrun --script fonts --reload

finds the fonts that come with your TeXLive. Mine looks like this:
OSFONTDIR=/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts//:/Library/Fonts//:/System/Library/Fonts//

Florian