Thank you, Arthur and Mojca, for your quick and clear response.

It is probably not worth bothering for this particular machine. I have
access to the minimals on several other Macs (including a much older,
not to say ancient PowerMac G4, also on Tiger). So I'm not
particularly needy in this respect.
I rescued this iBook from a garbage dump, in fact there were two of
them, both defect, from which I have been able to make one working
machine, and I just thought that it would have been nice to have
ConTeXt-minimals on it.

But it is puzzling. I never had any problems with two other PPC Macs,
so what makes this one essentially different? (No answer needed.)

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone