On 10/23/2010 10:00 AM, Herbert Voss wrote:
When I run this example with mpost amd mptopdf, everything is fine.
But running it with context mkiv, using its mplib I get
an error.

Yes, you would. This is the text from http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MkIV_Differences about metapost in context mkiv:

All inline metapost code in your document is executed in a large continuous run.

  This means there are two things you have to watch out for:

You should load the MP packages you need in \startMPinclusions..\stopMPinclusions; not inside a graphic. You have to make sure that you do not re-state equations that were already solved in a previous graphic.

These are in fact the exact same rules that you have to adhere to in mkii if \runMPgraphicsfalse is active.

Best wishes,
Taco