On 10/29/2010 11:25 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> The best thing to do would be to transliterate Russian patterns into
> Latin script (under one condition: transliteration needs to be
> one-to-one; if one cyrillic glyph transliterates into two latin
> characters, that doesn't help you). If you use LuaTeX you may then
> load the patterns on the fly.

Warning: the transliteration used in Steffen's document is (or at least
the example is) lossy and as such will likely produce wrong hyphenation
output no matter the applied method of making TeX hyphenate it.

The transliteration (in the example) is also inconsistent - if you tried
to reverse transliterate it to Cyrillic, you would not only miss some
characters, but you would also get some other characters wrong.

Examples:
- 'subjektov' is 'субъектов',
- 'vneshnejekonomicheskih' is 'внешнеэкономических',
thus 'je' stands for both 'ъе' and for 'э'.

This however could be just the authors typo. In such case 'subjektov'
should be corrected to 'sub"ektov'.

The way to achieve a univocal (one-to-one) transliteration would be
first to reverse transliterate it to Cyrillic, and then transliterate
back to Latin using ISO 9 transliteration standard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9
The example 'О координации международных и внешнеэкономических связей
субъектов Российской Федерации' would then output 'O koordinacii
meždunarodnyh i vnešneèkonomičeskih svâzej sub"ektov Rossijskoj
Federacii'. This however I wouldn't consider a very human-readable output.

A very handy tool for experiments can be found here:
http://translit.cc/

On the margin: Wouldn't it be much better to use just Cyrillic for that?
--
Andrzej Orłowski-Skoczyk