Am 12.11.2010 um 19:19 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> So, if there's interest in the \starttable .. \stoptable mechanism (i have no
> idea how often it is used) I can consider weeding and redoing some of that
> code (or just rewrite it from scratch which is probably easier).

There is still a use for the old table macros because it’s easier to set small
tables (alignment in the preamble versus many \setupTABLE settings), you can
set different spacing between rows which is not part of tabulate and you can
span cells (also not supported in tabulate).

To make the environment more attractive you should use the tabulate mechanism
for background colors (\BC[...] and \VL[...]) and a indent option would be
usefull to indent the table in a narrower environment and in itemize.

Wolfgang