On Tuesday 16 November 2010 22:16:33 Peter Davis wrote:

> Thanks!  I didn't find much in the ConTeXt reference manual on this.  Is
> there more info somewhere?

\position is (will be) fully documented in the updated reference manual. :)

(I was not aware of positioning, either!)
Again, we see that ConTeXt is quite rich,
and our documentation lags far behind.

As to layers, see:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers

We also have collectors:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Collectors

See also: http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/details.pdf

On Wednesday 17 November 2010 09:25:23 Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 17-11-2010 1:59, Martin Schröder wrote:

> >> So that is still used? (If so, I should look into optimizing and cleanup
> >> as it's real old code).
> >
> > Seems like a feature that's nice to have; it mirrors the texpos
> > package for LaTeX. Please update it.
>
> It does not really mirrors something (so it's not something users expect
> to be there I guess) ... if I remember right I made it for putting
> hyperlinks on specific places as I didn't want to use pictex for that.
> We have layers that provide a better mechanism.
>
> Anyway, it's not that much code so it can stick around (I even see a
> dutch comment so it's real ancient).
>
> Hans

Hans,

1. It would be natural to have \startframed\stopframed

2. A collector may be more natural than layers (used as a page background).
(As seen through "Force ConTeXt to produce a page with „\page[empty]“ or
„\dontleavehmode\page“ when you have enough material for one page or when
you’re at the end of your document.")

Is there any need for some helper macros, or do we simply need a
few good examples?

Alan