On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:02:13PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:51, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > ConTeXt mkiv will take an encapsulated postscript (eps) file through
> > \externalfigure [myfigure.eps]
> > and creates a (compressed) pdf version as m_k_i_v_myfigure.pdf
> > that conserves the vectorial components of the eps file.
> >
> > Other standard conversion tools, notably those based on ghostscript,
> > generally create a bitmap image with pretty horrible results.
> >
> > The vectorial conversion must be fully trivial, but I am ignorant
> > of the tools available for this manipulation (other than ConTeXt!),
> > as well as the inverse (pdf->eps) conversion. Perhaps I am simply
> > missing some simple (ghostscript, pstoedit, ...) option.
>
> 1.) ps2pdf -dEPSCrop file.eps file.pdf
>
> On some systems you have "epstopdf".
>
> 2.) gs -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dEPSCrop \
>     -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=file.pdf file.ps
>
> I use the same command for conversion into bitmap figures:
>     gs -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dEPSCrop \
>     -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -r500 \
>     -sDEVICE=pngalpha -sOutputFile=file.png file.ps
>
> Usually the conversion from PDF to EPS is slightly problematic for (to
> me) unknow reason.

For pdf to eps, use pdftops from the xpdf suite
(http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/).

I wrote a Ruby script epspdf with a gui Tcl/Tk wrapper epspdftk
(http://tex.aanhet.net/epspdf/) for arbitrary conversions between
eps, ps and pdf in any direction, with optional cropping and
grayscaling. Epspdf and epspdftk are included in TeX Live.

--
Siep Kroonenberg