On Nov 24, 2010, at 11:47 PM, Jon Crump wrote:

> All,
>
> Having abandoned apache's FOP, I've now been trying to get my arms
> around XML typesetting with conTeXt with the help of Thomas's
> excellent tutorial at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TEI_xml. With some
> difficulty I got the philostratus.xml/lorem ipsum example to work,
> save for errors like this from the \definemargins command:
>
> ! You can't use `\dimexpr' in restricted horizontal mode.
>
> (The marginal notations are typeset, but so are the distance arguments)

What version of ConTeXt are you using? I don't get this error with the latest
beta. Updating your MacTeX (which really is a slightly modified TeXLive) might
be difficult, so I would recommend trying the minimals.

Arabic: others will be able to help you; there is a number of Arabic users on
this list some of whom are regulars.

Good luck

Thomas