Am Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:31:05 +0200 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

>>> I don't know if bidi will ever be there either, but the sole fact that
>>> it supports UTF-8 is already surprising (the editor lags behing for
>>> ages in that respect) and enough for a vast majority of TeX users.
>>
>> The limited utf-8-support has been there for years. And it is really
>> very limited: WinEdt is not capable to handle utf-8 documents that
>> require more than one code page (eg. a mix of Russian and French).
>
> I've seen all sorts of limited unicode support, but that one is really
> retarded, I can't actually imagine how such thing would be coded!

It is a simple mapping to a 256 codepage: To quote from the
documentation:

However, WinEdt can transparently convert Unicode (UTF-8) documents
into ACP when they are loaded and back to UTF-8 when they are saved.
This makes it possible to work with UTF-8 documents as long as they
can be converted into ACP (Ansi Code Page).

--
Ulrike Fischer