Oh, and one more thing.

I strongly suspect that [sorttype=cite] is slightly misbehaving (it
prints out some bibliography items that are not cited at all in the
beginning of list; most probably in MKII as well), but that might be
connected with the fact that it simply writes out all the items. I
would expect the non-cited items to come last.

I have:
    \startpublication[a1] ...
    \startpublication[a2] ...
    \startpublication[a3] ...
    \startpublication[b1] ...
    \startpublication[b2] ...
    \startpublication[b3] ...

    \nocite[b1]
    \nocite[b2]
    \nocite[b3]
    % a* are not cited at all

but it prints out a1, a2, a3, b1, b2, b3. In my opinion the
noncited/nonmentionedatall items should come last. (In my case they
should not be printed out at all, but ...)

Mojca