On Dec 5, 2010, at 14:58 , Procházka Lukáš wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thanks for the explanation -
>
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:55:25 +0100, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 3-12-2010 5:00, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
>>>
>>> to get slanted chars, I have to call \it or \sl or \bi explicitly. OK, I
>>
>> In fact in math these are not font switches, but switches to a different
>> alphabet.  In traditional tex that normally is a font switch so one gets
>> the other bold or whatever shapes for free, given that they are in that
>> font (so it's a side effect of the way math alphabets are implemented),
>> but not so in open type math.
>>
>> there is no default math font in mkiv: one uses regular math or bold
>> math (given that there are two font(set)s available which is seldom the
>> case) and within them gets bold or heavy alphabets (plus a few chars)
>
> - So does it mean that the Vladimir's "cambria case" is exactly the seldom
> case when regular and bold math are available, both defining Greek chars like
> \alpha as well?

> Please, could you give more examples of normal and bold math fonts "of the
> same kin" (to be used for normal and bold math), both having Greek letters as
> well?

Hi,

this does not work with cambria math:

$\bf a=\alpha$
$\bi a=\alpha$

You should get the unicode math set of cambria math this way:

bold math: $\fontchar{u1D41A}=\fontchar{u1D6C2}$
bold italic math: $\fontchar{u1D482}=\fontchar{u1D736}$

I wonder if there are shorthand macros for accessing the unicode math slots for
script, bold, sans, etc.

Really strange things happen though (see attachment):

% tested with all three:
%\setupbodyfont[cambria]
%\setupbodyfont[asana]
\setupbodyfont[xits]

\startTEXpage[offset=1ex]

This fails:
$a=\alpha$
$\fontchar{u1D41A}=\fontchar{u1D6C2}$
$\fontchar{u1D482}=\fontchar{u1D736}$

However, this is OK (unicode inserted directly): $𝐚𝒂$

{\tfx
This is small but the math remains unscaled and displays questionmarks:
$a=\alpha$
$\fontchar{u1D41A}=\fontchar{u1D6C2}$
$\fontchar{u1D482}=\fontchar{u1D736}$
}

{\tfa
This is big and math font is also big and displays correctly:
$a=\alpha$
$\fontchar{u1D41A}=\fontchar{u1D6C2}$
$\fontchar{u1D482}=\fontchar{u1D736}$
}

{\tfa\tfx
This is normal (\type{\tfa\tfx}!) but the math remains big and displays ok:
$a=\alpha$
$\fontchar{u1D41A}=\fontchar{u1D6C2}$
$\fontchar{u1D482}=\fontchar{u1D736}$
}

\stopTEXpage

> - Vladimir showed "cambria". Unfortunately, his solution changes the entire
> document bodyfont (i.e. non-math font as well).

You could of cause create your own font (e.g. pagella with cambria math):

\starttypescript [pagella]
  \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math] [cambria] [default]
\stoptypescript

\setupbodyfont[pagella]

Florian