Am 15.12.2010 um 19:40 schrieb Marco Pessotto:

> Hello there.
>
> I was writing a small macro to emulate a custom \part command, and I
> broke my head against \dosingleempty (but finally I won).
>
> […]
>
> It's unclear to me how the arguments are passed between macros.
> Probably it's just a matter of knowledge of TeX macro programming (which
> obviously I don't have).

Your test with \iffirstargument fails because you perform it after
\startalignment
which has itself a argument which sets \iffirstargument to true, a better way to
check for content of the optional argument is \doifsomethingelse.

\def\talpart
  {\dosingleempty\dotalpart}

\def\dotalpart[#1]#2%
  {\page[right]
   \blank[force,2*big]
   \startalignment[center]
   \doifsomethingelse{#1}
     {{\bfc#1}\writetolist[talpart]{}{#1. #2}}
     {\writetolist[talpart]{}{#2}}%
   \blank[2*big]
   {\bfd#2}
   \stopalignment