been there <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Reference/en/setupitemgroup>, done
that <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Reference/en/keyword:textdistance>.

> and i don’t think it to be very intuitive, that this changes the space to
> be more flexible.
>
> sorry but i forgot why we used these values, maybe a smaller stretch value
> for small and medium make sense

i don’t think so (or at least not much less), and i meant sth. different:
“textdistance=medium” does not mean “greater flexibility”, it does mean “no
change in flexibility, just in distance”. using medium as standard value
would be ok, though, because you get the flexible (=mostly better) behavior
as standard, and the rigid as option.

> would you mind telling me why this is the case, and why this isn’t standard
> behavior?
>
> backward compatibility, i would also prefer “medium” as default value

can’t we just screw backward compatibility at all costs here? i mean:
“medium” won’t make it worse in most cases, just better! (the maximum space
is 1em+1sp, so we probably will never get different hyphenation, but almost
always less overfull \hboxes)

also, \setbreakpoints[compound] should be standard in my opinion.

Wolfgang

thanks for the answer,

phil