Hi,

for a text background graphic I need the character box sizes of a given
string. I managed to collect the needed info (width, height, depth,
kerns), but there is still some flaw in the kerning part.

For example:

"VATo" is printed out (in the shell) as

V       12      11      0
*kerning        -85721.088
A       10      11      0
*kerning        -64487.424
T       10      11      0
*kerning        -64487.424
o       7       7       0

The character stands in the first column, followed by width, height and
depth (in pixel). The "*kerning" line shows the kerning value (in sp) of
the neighbouring character pair. No problem here.

But "A much longer Test graphic VATo"

A       12      11      0
        5       0       0
m       13      7       0
*kerning        -21233.664
u       8       7       0
c       7       7       0
*kerning        -21233.664
h       8       11      0
        5       0       0
l       4       11      0
o       7       7       0
n       9       7       0
g       8       7       3
e       7       7       0
r       6       7       0
        5       0       0
T       11      11      0
e       7       7       0
s       6       7       0
t       6       10      0
        5       0       0
g       8       7       3
r       6       7       0
a       8       7       0
p       9       7       3
h       8       11      0
i       4       10      0
c       7       7       0
        5       0       0
V       12      11      0
A       12      11      0
T       11      11      0
o       7       7       0

sees no kerning for "VATo" (although the text is printed with the
correct kerning).

What am I missing? Example code is attached.

Peter
-- http://lua-users.org/wiki/SimpleRound
local function round(num, idp)
    local mult = 10^(idp or 0)
    return math.floor(num * mult + 0.5) / mult
end

local function topixel(n)
    local dimenfactor = 1/49336
    return n*dimenfactor
end

function foo_box(text)
    local s = text

    local tfmdata = fonts.ids[font.current()]
    if tfmdata then
        local characters = tfmdata.characters

        local char = { }
        local lastchar
        local u,width,height,depth,kerns

        for i= 1,string.len(s) do
            u = utf.byte(string.sub(s,i,i))
            if not char[u] then
                width = characters[u].width or 0
                height = characters[u].height or 0
                depth = characters[u].depth or 0
                if lastchar then kerns = characters[lastchar].kerns
                    if kerns then
                        kern= kerns[u] or 0
                        if not(kern==0) then print("*kerning",kern) end
                    end
                else kern = 0
                end

                char[u] = {
                    w = round(topixel((width+kern))),
                    h = round(topixel(height)),
                    d = round(topixel(depth)) }
            end
            lastchar = u
            print(string.sub(s,i,i),char[u].w,char[u].h,char[u].d)
        end

    end
end

\registerctxluafile{box}{0.1}

\starttext

\ctxlua{foo_box("A much longer Test graphic VATo")}

\ctxlua{foo_box("VATo")}