Hans,

Since we have some leverage with backward compatibility in MkIV, can we make \setuppapersize (slightly) more intuitive.

Normally, one would expect

   \setuppapersize[A5]

to be equivalent to

   \setuppapersize[A5][A5]

but currently it is equivalent to

   \setuppapersize[A5][A4]

This is a bit confusing, and means that we always have to specify the printpaper size; even if it is equal to paper size. Can we modify the definition of \dodefinepapersize to change this behavior?

\def\dodefinepapersize[#1][#2][#3]%
  {\ifsecondargument
     \doifsomething{#1} % to be sure
       {\doifassignmentelse{#2}
          {\getparameters
             [\??pp#1] % geen \c!scale, scheelt hash ruimte

[\c!width=\@@ppwidth,\c!height=\@@ppheight,\c!offset=\@@ppoffset,#2]%
             %AM: Added these two lines
             \setvalue{\??pp:1:#1}{#1}%
             \setvalue{\??pp:2:#1}{#1}}%
          {\setvalue{\??pp:1:#1}{#2}%
           \setvalue{\??pp:2:#1}{#3}}}% (*) see below
   \else
     \getparameters[\??pp][#1]%
     \setuppapersize % hm. this will freeze !
   \fi}

Perhaps, in line (*), we should also check if #3 is something, otherwise set ??p:2:#1 to #2:

\doifsomethingelse{#3}
  {\setvalue\??pp:2:#1}{#3}}
  {\setvalue\??pp:2:#1}{#2}}

What do you think?