Hi Thomas,
sorry, I dont want to bother you. But in fact that is not what I'm looking for. Maybe its my fault that I mixed a - as I thougt - related problem in my second mail. What I try to do is reduce redundancy. I cannot see where my explanations differ. In fact, I started with something like your example. But from a redundancy point of view
thats a mess so I tried to improve it. I came to something like

\startxmlsetups xml:chapter
  \startchapter[
     title={\xmlatt{#1}{title}},
     number=\xmldoifelse{#1}{./attribute('num')}{yes}{no},
     ownnumber=\xmldoifelse{#1}{./attribute('num')}{\xmlatt{#1}{num}}{}
  ]
    \xmlflush{#1}
  \stopchapter
\stopxmlsetups

which works fine and at least in my eyes has a clearer structure, but still some redundancy. Now is the point where I think the misunderstandings started, because now I tried two different approaches to decrease redundancy: First step i tried to simplyfy *this* setup and came to something like

\startxmlsetups xml:chapter
  \startchapter[
     title={\xmlatt{#1}{title}},
\xmldoifelse{#1}{./attribute('num')}{ownnumber=\xmlatt{#1}{num}}{number=no},
  ]
    \xmlflush{#1}
  \stopchapter
\stopxmlsetups

which would nicely eliminate every redundance but doesn't work and complains about the mystery "missing or ungrouped '='" The other attempt was - though i have not only to deal with chapters but up to about 15 hierarchies, all structured in a similar way,
so I tried to delegate the processing like

\startxmlsetups xml:fillTitleAtts
     title={\xmlatt{#1}{title}},
     number=\xmldoifelse{#1}{./attribute('num')}{yes}{no},
     ownnumber=\xmldoifelse{#1}{./attribute('num')}{\xmlatt{#1}{num}}{}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:chapter
  \startchapter[
     \xmlcommand{#1}{.}{xml:fillTitleAtts}
  ]
    \xmlflush{#1}
  \stopchapter
\stopxmlsetups

which would be nicely reusable but that attempt failed whith the same error message - thus I thought they are related. I have to mention, that I try not to process one file but to write setups for a bunch of similar but slightly different books (we're doing about 1000 books per year), so my setups have to be clearly structured and easyly adaptable to different needs.

I dunno if that can clear up things, if not, I think its not worth much more discussion.

Thanks,
Achim