On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Otared Kavian wrote:

Dear Aditya, dear Hans,

I noticed a serious difference between what one gets for \left\Vert in mkii and
in mkiv.
Probably this is due to the fact that in mkiv the glyph for \Vert is
constructed in a different manner, but as far as I know from what I see in the
mathematical printed materials, the correct one, or the expected one, is the
output from mkii.

I don't know why the glyphs are different. In MkIV, the virtual font is mapping 0x2016 to 0xFF605, but I don't know how FF605 is created.

Is there a way to redefine locally \Vert (or \|) so that in mkiv one gets the
same output as with mkii?

Not locally. You could change math-vfu.lua to change the mapping, but I don't completely understand how those work (with the virtual glyphs like FF605)

Aditya