On 2 feb 2011, at 20:08, Peter Münster wrote:

> Vnpenguin <vnpeng...@vnoss.org> writes:

>>> Or perhaps 2 completely different distributions?
>>> mkii: frozen, only some fixes from time to time
>>> mkiv: no more mkii files, no more pdftex, just pure mkiv
>>
>> Yes, I like this idea. I don't care about mkii, nor pdftex.
>
> In the first place, this idea was meant to make Hans' life easier.
> (not the user's life... ;-)

I strongly support the idea of freezing mkii, apart from repairing obvious bugs
in the existing codebase. It will free precious resources and save valuable
time. Moreover imho concentrating on mkiv not hampered by compatability issues
because of mkii, can only add to its stability.
(It is just like evolution or maybe call it progress. Imagine both our primate
ancestors and the dinosaurs being maintained at the same time? Where would we
be? ;-)

Hans van der Meer