On 23-2-2011 12:35, Michail Vidiassov wrote:

as far as I understand ConTeXt now can not link file attachment to
arbitrary picture, just to some predefined icons. Am I right?

you can use symbols (as with fields and other widgets)

Is it going to change? Soon? There are comments in the code about
lack of measurement support for XForm - is that the issue and what
that issue is?

unrelated, more a dev note

I have already met that complaints in 3D Annotations support code.
BTW, I am interested in FileAttachment Annotations as a way to
work with 3D models. With LaTeX the main PDF file may contain a 2D picture,
that can be displayed in any PDF viewer, but if you click on it in Adobe
viewer attached PDF file opens with 3D model in it. That attached file
may be produced by some third-party tool, since often such tools output
not just 3D model fit for including in PDF, but a one-page PDF with the
3D model, complex JavaScript to control it (for example to animate it)
and some intarctive text related to the model.

I'm not sure what you mean here. There is some u3d and shockwave support. (I added u3d because someone asked it but the requester never tested it). Anyhow, these features are only extended when we (luigi and me) get proper public test files

Concerning attachments, the next beta will have a new definition model with inheritance but the \use.. method is still there as well.

The hidden method will not place an annotation. Definition is not really needed, so a direct \attachment works ok, but a bit of abstraction (separation between definition and use) does not hurt

% old but stil valid method (consistent with other \use):
%
% \useattachment[test.tex]
% \useattachment[whatever][test.tex]
% \useattachment[whatever][newname][test.tex]
% \useattachment[whatever][title][newname][test.tex]
%
% new method:
%
% \attachment[test.tex]
% \attachment[whatever1][file=test.tex]
% \attachment[whatever2][file=test.tex,method=hidden]
% \attachment[whatever3][name=newname,file=test.tex]
% \attachment[whatever4][title=mytitle,name=newname,file=test.tex]
%
% indirect
%
% \defineattachment[whatever5][file=test.tex] \attachment[whatever5][method=hidden] % \defineattachment[whatever5][file=test.tex,method=hidden] \attachment[whatever5]
%
% direct (no definitions)
%
% \attachment[test][file=oeps.tex,title=Oeps,author=Hans,subtitle=TeX File,method=hidden] % \attachment[label=test,file=oeps.tex,title=Oeps,author=Hans,subtitle=TeX File,method=hidden]
%
% autolabel:
%
% \attachment[file=oeps.tex,title=Oeps,author=Hans,subtitle=TeX File,method=hidden]
%
% % \setupattachments[\c!symbol={symbol-normal,symbol-down}]