On 11-3-2011 12:03, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
In some overheads, I'd like all bold-faced font to appear in a given color,
say red.  How do I set this up, so that {\bf some text} will display "some
text" in red?

Fonts and colors are unrelated properties (and always will be in context). The way to go is abstraction:

\definestartstop[important][color=red,style=bold]

test {\important test} or \important{test} test ...