On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 20:08, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> At second I want actually to add more than one tree ;-)
>
> My main problem is that there quite a lot of configuration files
> which look like good candidates (I found texmf.cnf, texmfcnf.lua,
> context.cnt, contextcnf.lua.) and that I don't know where to put a
> local version which will not be changed by updates.

texmf.cnf is for MKII and texmfcnf.lua is for MKIV. The files
context.cnf and contextcnf.lua are not used. They are usually just the
source for texmf.cnf and texmfcnf.lua, but they are not taken
automatically.

One way is to set environmental variables, but probably a better way
is to create a copy of texmf.cnf & texmfcnf.lua in texmf-local/web2c/
and change the TEXMF variable there. No, wait. texmf-local is not
known until texmf.cnf is actually read in (chicked-and-egg problem).
Can you please try to put texmf.cnf in top level (next to setuptex)
and see if mkii/kpathsea works that way (finds proper trees)? There is
a hardcoded algorithm with a list of paths that are checked for
texmf.cnf file, but I'm not sure what the sequence of those paths is.

For MKIV you can put texmfcnf.lua anywhere and then set the TEXMFCNF
environmental variable (I think, I'm not sure, I would have to try
again), but the better way is to make it work automatically in the
same way as for MKII, let's say by putting a modified version of
texmfcnf.lua two folders up.

Mojca