I will remember to include a minimal example from now on.
Here is the current:

\setuplayout[location=doublesided]
\setuppagenumbering[location=right,alternative=doublesided]
\setupmargindata[inmargin][location=outer,align=inner] % almost correct. on
odd pages wrong alignment
% \setupmarginframed[inmargin][align=inner] % wrong side on odd pages, also
wrong alignment
\starttext
\chapter{Chapter Knuth testing}
\section{Section Knuth testing}
\input knuth \inmargin{test}\input knuth\page
\section{Section Knuth testing 2}
bla bla \inmargin{test 1.5}bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla.
\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}Nochmal \inmargin{test 2}ein
Test.\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}\inmargin{bla}
\stoptext

Note: \inoutermargin on page 3 behaves correctly, though it seems to have a
different default style (why bold, anyway?).
As for now, I'm using \inoutermargin .