On Thu 21 Apr 2011, Pontus Lurcock wrote:

> On Thu 21 Apr 2011, Reviczky, Adam wrote:
>
> > Why does this not work with
> > \mainlanguage[uk]
> >

> Hmm, good point. It seems to work with several \mainlanguage settings
> I've tried: en, fr, nl, sv, fi, cs, ru, de. But it fails for uk and
> en-gb.

I think I've got somewhere with this: Wolfgang's workaround seems to
fail when used with a language that has a ‘default’ parameter in the
\installlanguage command (see lang-def.mkiv). So en and de are fine,
but en-us, en-gb, de-at, de-ch etc. fail. My workaround was simply
to define a custom language from scratch without using ‘default’:

\installlanguage
  [mylang]
  [spacing=broad,
   leftsentence=---,
   rightsentence=---,
   leftsubsentence=---,
   rightsubsentence=---,
   leftquote=\upperleftsinglesixquote,
   rightquote=\upperrightsingleninequote,
   leftquotation=\upperleftdoublesixquote,
   rightquotation=\upperrightdoubleninequote,
   date={day,\ ,month,\ ,year},
   patterns=gb,
   lefthyphenmin=3,
   righthyphenmin=3]

\mainlanguage[mylang]
\setuplabeltext[chapter=Chapter ]
\setuplabeltext[appendix=Appendix ]

\definehead[appendix][chapter]

\setuphead[appendix][appendixlabel=appendix]

\setuplist[chapter,appendix][label=yes,width=6em]

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
\title{Contents}
\placelist[chapter,appendix,section,subsection]
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
\chapter{Bodypart}

\stopbodymatter