>> Awesome hint… hits the nail on the head! The "faulty" version (i.e. the one
>> not appearing in the PDF with Minion Pro) is<dotlessi><acuteaccent>
>> (where<acuteaccent>  appears to translate to CC81 in hex, correct?).
>
> Yes. Useful site for find out stuff like that without having to do utf-8
> calculations yourself:
>
>  http://www.decodeunicode.org/en/u+0301/properties
>
> At the top right, it has numerical values for the current character in
> various encodings.

This page looks great. Jotted down for later reading ;-)

>> I guess I need to find and replace the accent combination by the direct slot?
>
> That would be wise for now, but I think context should be able to trap this
> automatically (at least in the mode=node case).

Sounds reasonable. By the way, is the direct encoding generally preferred over
the combination method (say, by good Unicode practice ;-)? If yes, I certainly
wouldn't mind a little warning message if I happen to use the other variant…

>> Can something similar happen for other "foreign" characters (like ß,
>> umlauts, ae, etc.) or is this sort of error only possible with accents?
>
> IIRC, in principle it can happen with some other characters as well, but I do
> not think that happens often. It is mostly combining accents.

I see. So umlauts are good candidates to check, too.

Thanks again,
Oliver