On Fri, 27 May 2011 18:30:53 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 27.05.2011 um 18:08 schrieb Marc Trius:
>
> > Hi,
> > I would like to be able to specify a style that would apply to text that
> > appears on the first line of a paragraph after whitespace. I have no idea
> > how to go about it.
> >
> > Specifically, I have a font with an alternate glyph that can only be used
> > after whitespace, and I would like to have it used automatically when
> > appropriate.
>
> Do you want a initial?
>
> \setupinitial[state=start]
>
> \starttext
> \placeinitial \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

No, what is something like:

\starttypescript      [Standard]
      \definetypeface [Standard] [rm] [serif] [frankruehl]       [default]
[features=default]
      \definetypeface [Alt]    [rm] [serif] [frankruehl] [default]
[features=alt]
  \stoptypescript

{\Alt This is the first line after a whitespace, this is the linebreak} and
this is the rest of the paragraph. I'd like to have a macro that automatically
styles the first line only so I don't have to guess at linebreaks every time I
edit the text.

I need to do this because in texts that are written with the Hebrew alphabet, a
shorter glyph of the tallest letter, 'lamed,' is used inside a block of text
than in a first line, so that the interline space can be smaller. Employing
this technique makes the difference between a pretty good and a really
first-rate typesetting job :)

Thanks,
Marc

Marc Trius <derpay...@riseup.net>

"The enemy is the gramophone mind, whether or not one agrees with the record
that is being played at the moment." --- George Orwell