On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

Am 2011-08-19 um 17:08 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

But - can you even support different setups, say

\startlilypondpreamble
global settings for everything
\stoplilypondpreamble

\startlilypondpreamble[snippet]
global settings for snippets
\stoplilypondpreamble

\startlilypondpreamble[fullscore]
global settings for full scores
\stoplilypondpreamble

\startlilypond[setup=fullscore]
the score
\stoplilypond

etc.

Yes. I can support the following syntax:

\startbuffer[snippets] ... \stopbuffer

\startbuffer[fullscore] ... \stopbuffer

\startbuffer[common] ... \stopbuffer

\startlilypond[bufferbefore={snippets,common}, bufferafter={....}]
.... \stoplilypond

(In fact, provide similar support for anything defined using the filter module).

The other thing is to be able to change linespace, papersize, offset, etc using parameters, so that one can say:
\startlilypond[linespace=...]
\stoplilypond
This will require some lua side processing.

You mean, translate ConTeXt-style settings to LilyPond settings, like we did with the old module?

Yes.

That wouldn’t make much sense. LilyPond just has too much settings. And most of them you can set in different ways. To fully support this, you’d need a complete LilyPond parser including Scheme. And a small set of settings is never the right set for everyone.

OK.

Ok, there are a few settings that we could translate, e.g. set ConTeXt’s main fonts also for LilyPond.

Agreed. Does anyone know how to get the name of the current font in MkIV?

We don’t need LilyPond's layout settings, as long as we go the \externalfigure path.

But I think that at least automatic paper size settings (set paper size to be equal to text area) are needed.

I don’t know a solution for line breaking of scores - if you’d set LilyPond’s page size to ConTeXt’s remaining space, it would stay the same for the second page. Perhaps we can get single lines (systems) and let ConTeXt to the page breaking. I’ll look into that.

OK.

But I don’t know how we can make it "right" WRT LilyPond snippets - I’d want to align a note systems’s base line with ConTeXt’s text baseline, but the height and clipping of a snippet depends on the visible elements. Without some picture analysis (or runtime data from LilyPond, that doesn’t exist AFAIK) you need to adjust your snippets manually.

Does lilypond-book handle this at all? It does not appear to. Manually adjusting each inline snippet will be too much work, IMO.

Do you know how lilypond numbers its output files. In some cases I get filename-1.pdf sometimes not. Can I force it to always give filename-1.pdf or always give filename.pdf

LilyPond adds a number to EPS, if there’s more that one page.
But in my songbook setup, I always get a filename-temp-lilypond-##.eps plus an identical filename-temp-lilypond-##-1.eps

When you order more than one \midi{} in several \score blocks, the first MIDI file is unnumbered, the second gets number 1 etc.; didn’t try with different \layout blocks yet.

Seems like I must do some tests with multipage scores.

Look at the current version on github. It should be able to handle multi-page snippets.

Aditya