Thanks. But after having a closer look I decided to abandon the mechanism. It
looks fairly sophisticated: finding positions in the TeX-result and producing
overlays for them. Because I used it solely inside table-like structures for
pointing from one cell to another, I can replace them by MetaPost pictures. It
seems more robust that way. So you do not need spending your time on it.

Hans van der Meer