I made an example of the effect of this on \doifmode and \startmode. The
example shows that the appearance of extra space in \doifmode follows a regular
pattern. The startmode case differs in that respect because
\startmode[condition-true] has the extra space but \startmode[condition-false]
has not. In my view that is an unwanted anomaly. A little redefinition remedies
that as can be seen in the example.