On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 06:13:25 -0600, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

Of course LM does not look so bad but I'm using a different font so this
is just an illustration.

\slantperpoint

is a rather traditional tex/font parameter and not present in opentype fonts so you have to hard code something there

Sure ... but I can't figure out a way to change the italic behavior without changing the tf behavior.

Do you have a trick somewhere where you can define a conditional such that

if slanted font (\it or \sl etc) do x
else
do y

Then we could add that to the macro?

Is there any other way?

you could try \definefontfeature[default][default][compose=yes] assuming that you have the bottom accent available

I already have compose=yes in the typscripts, e.g.

=================
\definefontfallback
    [latindot]
    [file:LMRoman12-Regular*default]
        [0x0323]
    [force=yes]

\definefontfeature
  [minionpro-tf]
  [mode=node,script=latn,language=dflt,trep=yes,protrusion=quality,
  expansion=quality,compose=yes,combine=yes,tlig=yes,
   kern=yes,liga=yes,onum=yes,cpsp=yes]

\definefontfeature
  [minionpro-it]

[mode=node,script=latn,language=dflt,trep=yes,compose=yes,combine=yes,tlig=yes,
   kern=yes,liga=yes,onum=yes,cpsp=yes,protrusion=quality,expansion=quality,
   swsh=yes]
=================

but the results are bad using

=================
\defineactivecharacter ḥ  {ḥ} % Ux0323 is explicit within the {}
\defineactivecharacter Ḥ  {Ḥ} % Ux0323 is explicit within the {}
\defineactivecharacter ṣ  {ṣ} % Ux0323 is explicit within the {}
\defineactivecharacter Ṣ  {Ṣ} % Ux0323 is explicit within the {}

\starttext
Ḥ {\it Ḥ}

ḥ {\it ḥ}

Ṣ  {\it Ṣ}

ṣ  {\it ṣ}
\stoptext
=================

See pdf. Even in LM, the results are very uneven ...

If it takes a hard-coded solution for each char that's fine, I should be able to extrapolate from a template for just one in regular and italic.

I've experimented with different ideas, but I'm really out of my league on this one ... please help!

:-)

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shīʿī Studies